Custer House

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House reflects Fort Riley's earliest history and authentically depicts military home life on the western frontier during the Indian Wars Period.
Large historical house surrounded by trees
It is largely unchanged from its original design and furnished with period furniture from the 1880 through the 1890s. It is believed that General and Mrs. Custer occupied the sister-set of quarters (#21) while stationed here in 1866.


Visitation & Hours


The Custer House is open to the public for visitation from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Call the U.S. Cavalry Museum for hours of operation.


Fort Riley Access


Visitors without a DOD ID card who wish to enter Fort Riley are reminded that a temporary Fort Riley Access Pass or Badge is required. Cell-Phone usage is not permitted while driving a vehicle on Fort Riley.

Access Control Information