Are you ready to "Rock the Boat?" Build a boat out of only cardboard and duct tape that is capable of holding at least two people, which can be launched and paddled on a set course and you could win! Anyone can build a boat, we just hope it floats! No entry fee, just show up with your team and your boat! This annual event sponsored by the Geary County CVB.
Rules & Regulations: Racing Divisions: Family, Teen, Open, Extreme, Stock Tank No Pre-Registration Required - Just show up with your team and your boat!
1. Time on Site All boats must be on site between 11:00 a.m. and Noon. Boats will be on display for public viewing and judging will be done. Team members are responsible for the security and safety of their boat. Racing begins at 1:00 p.m.
2. Safety All occupants of the boat MUST wear life jackets and must wear them properly. Any team member not wearing a life jacket will cause the boat and all team members to be disqualified. Teams are responsible for bringing life jackets. A few life jackets will be available for loaners.
3. Boat Materials The boat will consist of only cardboard and duct tape/packaging tape. Any type of cardboard is allowed. All types of duct tapes are allowed. NO OTHER MATERIALS CAN BE USED! NO WATER - SOLUBLE PAINTS!
4. Racing Boats can only be raced in one division, with the exception of the Family Division. In the Family Division, different family members are allowed to race their boat as long as they race in the Family Division. Boats are not allowed to be raced in multiple divisions.
5. Teams Teams consist of two persons per boat, except for the Teen and Extreme Divisions. The Teen Division has a 2-person minimum and a 4-person maximum limit. The Extreme Division has a 4-person minimum and a 6-person maximum limit.
6. Division Guidelines
Family: At least one person in the boat must be over 18 years of age. Teams in the Family Division must be related, Guardian, Big Brother/Big Sister, or Temporary Custody.
Teen: No person can be in the boat under 13 years of age or over 18 years of age. In this Division, teams can have from two to four persons in the boat.
Open: Open to all, though one person in the boat must be over 18 years of age.
Extreme: All persons must be over 18 years of age and have at least four persons in the boat. In this Division, teams can have up to six persons in the boat.
Stock Tank: Maximum of 4 persons in tank. One person must be full-time employee in agriculture, cattle or bioscience. Stock tank may be plastic or metal.
7. Boat Design Rafts are NOT allowed. All boats must have front, rear and side walls of at least 18 inches. Walls do not have to be straight vertical. No minimum length of boat, though maximum is 18 feet. All boat occupants must be visible while in the boat and racing.
8. Propulsion No Fred Flintstone type of boats. Boats must be powered by paddles/oars only. Legs and feet are not allowed for propulsion. No wind/solar power aided devices. No engines. ONLY ROWING WITH PADDLES/OARS. Teams can use any type of paddles or oars. No team member can lay on back or stomach while racing.
9. Qualifying To qualify in racing, all team members must be in the boat when crossing the finish line. Boats are racing against the clock.
10. Post-Race Each team member must assist in the removal of their boat after racing. Boats must be removed from the water.
11. Judging Boats will be judged on design, quality of construction, aesthetics, floating in water when empty, floating in water with one person in the boat, floating in water with the entire team in the boat and time of race.